Accepting guests posts on your blog is a great way to bring new voices to your audience and make connections in the blogging world. Many new bloggers go out of their way to create great work to submit as guest posts to top blogs. Not many of these blogs actually publish every article they receive. But if you got your chance this way, you know how important it is to help other aspiring bloggers reach their goal.
Just because you are accepting guest posts on your site does not mean you should get lazy. I have seen some bloggers who have more guest posts on their sites than original posts. Worse yet, some of these folks accept and publish the majority of articles they receive. This is a very dangerous practice that can damage your brand and your business as a whole.
The posts you publish on your blog say a lot about you and the way you run your business. Here are 5 things visitors can learn about a blog by studying the guests posts published on it:
- Quality control: everybody makes mistakes. As hard as I try, I make many of them everyday. But it is a huge turn off when a guest post is full of errors (factual or grammatical). If you post garbage to your site, how can you expect people to stick around and read more of your work. They may not even give you a second chance.
- Dedication to blogging: are you dedicated to blogging? If so, having more guest posts than original posts is not the best way to show it. There is nothing wrong with posting other people’s articles to your website. That does not mean you can just cruise through life and never blog again.
- Blogging philosophy: publishing other people’s work to your site is only one part of the process. You should also take time to promote those works. Not accepting any guest post also says a lot about your blogging philosophy.
- Generosity: I don’t know about you but I believe in Karma. The concept applies in the blogging world too. The more you help others and put into your community, the more good things happen to you. There is no reason not to help others make it in the blogging world especially if others have helped you in the past to reach your goals.
- Engagement level: publishing articles to your website is only one part of the process. Bloggers should take time to answer their visitors’ questions and address any issues/complaints on their articles. Every legitimate comment that you get is special. So treat it that way.
Guest posting is not and should not be a way for you to spend more time procrastinating. You should vet all the articles you receive, edit them when you must, and spend time promoting the ones you publish. Blogging is not as easy as some believe after all.
You may also be interested in: