A few weeks ago, Google unveiled its new Google Search interface. Google had given us the heads up that a new interface was in the works. It took a while for the company to properly test it and open it to everyone. The new interface may not look too different on the surface. But it does give bloggers a few tips on how to optimize their website for Google to maximize their traffic.
When you search for a term on Google these days, you are going to see a variety of search filters on the left side of your screen. Here are just a few that bloggers will need to pay attention to:
What does it all mean for bloggers? It’s really simple. If you want to maximize your traffic, you need to show up under all the above filters. That means you will have to upload images, capture videos, upload your own books, become a news source, and much more. Here are 10 ways you can go about enhancing your presence on Google:
- Upload Your Videos: videos are the present and the future. If you are serious about pro blogging, you should have your very own channel on YouTube.
- Become a News Source: you do not necessarily have to break the news all the time. But as long as you have a multi-authored blog that is updated regularly, there is no reason not to add your blog to Google News.
- Optimize Your Images: you should take time to upload your images to get them ranked on Google. Don’t just use free images you can find online. Take some of your own, optimize them properly, and give them descriptive names.
- Add Your business: don’t forget to add your online business to Google and Google maps. You may not have a local business, but you can still use your headquarters address to get the job done.
- Enhance Your blog: pay attention to keyword phrases and terms that you target on your blog. Spending a little bit of time to optimize your posts for search engines never hurts.
- Upload Your Book: not all bloggers have their own books. Those of you who have blogged for long enough have probably some ideas on how to write your very own e-book. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Once you have written your book, you may want to upload it to Google to get some more traffic.
- Be Involved In Forums: not only you should add a forum to your blog (if you have the resources), you should also be involved in other people’s forums.
- Take Advantage of Google Products: if you sell products online (mostly for business bloggers), being listed on Google Products does not hurt.
- Blog Often: don’t slack off. Fresh content does matter. You may not be able to write for your blog everyday, but that does not mean you should only write one post a week. Do as much as you can handle without bringing down the quality of your posts.
- Become More Social: social media matters. I am not suggesting you should spam Twitter or Facebook. You do, however, need be involved in those communities.
These are just an overview of what all bloggers need to do to maximize their presence on Google. It’s much easier on the paper. Nobody said blogging was an easy job.
You may also be interested in: